Sunday, August 21, 2011

(End of) Summer Loving

I spent the summer away from my blog as I was doing some traveling. I had a chance to do some volunteer teaching in Quito, Ecuador and rural Mississippi. These two opportunities allowed me to step outside my comfort zone and provided me with some truly amazing experiences. Whether it was practicing Spanish, learning new cultures, or meeting new people the learning was plentiful. The learning of my summer was quite different than what I do on a normal basis. I didn't have a lot of time to read blogs, practice new technology, or exchange ideas with my PLN. But I did experience the world and its people. This is something that the teaching profession allows for and I feel that as you connect around the globe wirelessly on a daily basis, it is invaluable to connect around the globe personally. Also my anecdotes and pictures will help humanize many of the issues and idea we discuss in my classes.

I also think that the new experiences with many different students will make me a better teacher. As I dealt with various cultures and personalities, I realized how important personal relationships are to making connections. But all my travels and fun are coming to an end and I can't wait to get back to my classroom. Below are just a few pictures from my many travels (I also drove across the United States with some buddies at the end of my break).

I wish everybody a wonderful start to the year.

Waterfalls in Ecuador

Teaching English in the markets

Field Trip in Okolona, MS

Downtown Okolona, MS

Bobsledding in Park City, Utah

Next to Josh Gibson at the Negro League Baseball Museum in Kansas City

No comments:

Post a Comment