Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Pain of Education?

Yes, my blogging slows down to a halt during the summer.

...and I am not sorry about it.

Its summer after all. It is a time for reading, the outdoors, and projects. I am especially busy with projects this summer and can't wait to share some of them over the next few weeks.

I did finally finish Mindstorms by Seymour Papert and will be reviewing it soon. Hint: Its pretty freaking great. In the mean time,  I wanted to point out a few words from the current book I am reading, Design, Make, and Play.  In a section written by Dale Dougherty, he shares some bluntly true words. I felt they were worth sharing.

Many [students] understand the difference between the pain of education and the pleasure of real learning. Unfortunately, they are forced to seek opportunities outside of school to express themselves and to demonstrate what they can do (page 8).

Just chew on that when you start thinking about your upcoming school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment